B7 - Help with Transport Costs
Total Mobility scheme
The Total Mobility scheme provides vouchers for 50 percent discount on the cost of taxi transport for people with an impairment that makes it hard
for them to make their own way or travel on public transport.
Some personal driver services, such as Driving Miss Daisy, also accept Total Mobility vouchers in most areas they operate.
- It makes it easier to get out and about.
- You can travel for cheaper any time of the day or night.
- If you are travelling with your carer, their travel costs are covered by the voucher, too.
- You can only use vouchers on taxi and private transport services that participate in the scheme.
- You cannot use the vouchers on public transport.
- You still have to pay 50 percent of the fare.
- Some rural areas of New Zealand are not covered by the scheme.
What do I need in order to take this option?
- To be eligible for the scheme, the agent that administers the scheme in your area must assess your impairment to confirm that it is too difficult
for you to travel on public transport. Assessment agencies vary around the country.
- If you receive a disability allowance, you may also be eligible for the Total Mobility scheme.
- Not all areas have the scheme - check with your doctor, Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB), regional council or city/district council.
Could this option limit my future choices?
For more information
- Ministry of Transport, for general information about the Total Mobility Scheme. See:
- Your regional council for information about the scheme in your area.
- SuperGold Card holders can travel for free on urban public transport at off-peak times in many regions around the country.
Check with your regional council to see if this applies in your area. See: www.supergold.govt.nz
- Veteran's Affairs operates the Veteran's Independence Programme, which offers a Travel Allowance to meet everyday travel needs, and a Travel Concession to help with
recreational travel in New Zealand. There are eligibility requirements. Freephone 0800 483 8372