B27 - Home Modifications
Home modifications are changes made to a person's home to make it safer and easier for the person to move around and carry out everyday tasks.
Examples of modifications that can be made to improve home safety and mobility include:
- a ramp
- grab rails and hand rails
- a 'walk-in' or 'wet area' shower
- hand held shower attachment
- widened doorways and hallways
- lever door handles
- a visual or flashing alarm
- Home modifications can help you stay living independently in your home.
- They can make your home safer and easier for you to live in. For example, a ramp can make it safer and easier to move in and out of your home or grab rails in the bathroom can
make it a safer environment.
- Modifications can make it easier and safer for carers who are helping you, too.
- Installing modifications costs. There is a subsidy available, but to access it you must meet certain criteria.
- If you are eligible for a subsidy to install your modifications, generally you can only access funding once. if you need modifications in future, you may have to fund them
What do I need in order to take this option?
Eligibility for financial assistance
- If you do not own your home, you will need the home-owner's permission to make any changes to it.
- You will need funds to undertake the modifications.
- You may be eligible for some financial assistance from the Ministry of Health or ACC (if you have a disability related to an injury) to help you modify your home or build a
home with accessible features for someone with a disability. See C13 Home Modifications Assistance.
- You can also pay for the modifications or even do them yourself. See C14 Home Modifications DIY.
Could this option limit my future choices?
If the modifications are designed well and completed to a high standard, they could enhance the value of your property. Minor adaptations, such as grab rails, can be easily
removed if desired.
If you move and need modifications in your new home, and have already received financial assistance, you may not be able to get funding for them.
For more information