B22 - Renting

Rental properties are available throughout New Zealand, with a range of options offered across different sectors of the rental market.

You can find out more about the different options at:

Only council rentals cater specifically for the older population.

Kāinga Ora, CHPs and council rental properties may require income and asset testing.

Private, council and CHP renters may be eligible for the Accommodation Supplement, depending on individual circumstances (see B5 Accommodation Supplement).



What do I need in order to take this option?

Suitable rental properties need to be available in your area.

Could this option limit my future choices?

Yes, depending on your lease agreement, you may be committed to staying in a rental property for a set period of time and must leave it in a good condition or you will forfeit your bond.

For more information

Tenancy Services. See: www.tenancy.govt.nz and: www.tenancy.govt.nz/rent-bond-and-bills/market-rent/ for the best source of market rent data for all regions around the country.

Tenancy Services: See tenancy.govt.nz/starting-a-tenancy/new-to-tenancy/key-rights-and-responsibilities/ for information about the rights and responsibilities of tenants and landlords.