B16 - Live-in Carer

A live-in carer is a good option for people who want to remain living in their own home but feel that they need more care and support than the few hours a week that is provided by an in-home support service(see B18 Home Support Services).

It can also allow those who have been assessed as needing rest-home care or whose partner needs 24-hour care to continue living in their own homes.

The live-in carer can be a family or whānau member or they can be an external professional carer.



What do I need in order to take this option?

Generally, you need to arrange and pay all the costs of live-in care yourself. However, if you have a full-time caregiver who is not your husband, wife or partner, they may be eligible for a Supported Living Payment from Work and Income.

Eligibility for financial assistance

For your caregiver to be eligible for a Supported Living Payment, you must:

Could this option limit my future choices?


For more information

Work and Income, for information about the Supported Living Payment. See: www.workandincome.govt.nz/products/a-z-benefits/supported-living-payment.html