B15 - Disability Allowance

The Disability Allowance is a weekly payment for people who have regular, ongoing costs because of a physical, intellectual or sensory impairment that lasts for six months or more and limits their ability to carry out day-to-day activities.

The sorts of things that you can claim for under a Disability Allowance include: a medical alarm rental and monitoring, travel to your doctor or hospital, power bills and gardening and lawn mowing costs.

You need to talk to Senior Services at the Ministry of Social Development about what you can claim.



What do I need in order to take this option?


Notes: If you have a partner in hospital or long-term residential care and you receive a benefit or pension, you may be eligible to receive a special disability allowance.


You need to complete a Disability Allowance Application form from Work and Income. You can do this online, you can download a copy of the form to complete and post in, or you can contact Work and Income to post you a form.

Could this option limit my future choices?

No, but changes in your living situation could affect the amount of allowance you can receive. For example, if your income increased beyond the threshold because you started taking in boarders, you might no longer be eligible.

For more information