B5 - Accommodation Supplement
The Accommodation Supplement is a weekly payment from Work and Income that helps towards paying rent, board or costs associated with owning a home.
- This supplement can help you pay some of the costs of your accommodation.
- If you are renting this may mean greater choice to select a home better suited to your needs or to live closer to services you require.
- The Accommodation Supplement will not cover all your unaffordable accommodation costs
- The amount you can be paid varies depending on the region you live in and your personalcircumstances, so:
- you need to keep Work and Income informed if you move or if there are any changes in your costs/circumstances
- the amount you are paid might change.
What do I need in order to take this option?
Your eligibility for this payment depends on: where you live, your housing costs, the assets you and your partner have, how much you earn and who else lives with you.
To be eligible you must:
- have accommodation costs that are unaffordable for you
- be over 16 years old
- be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- normally live in New Zealand and intend to stay here
- not be paying rent for a social housing property (either Housing New Zealand Corporation (HNZC) or an approved community housing provider).
You need to complete an Accommodation Supplement Application Form from Work and Income. You can do this online, you can download a copy of the form to complete and post in, or you
can contact Work and Income to post you a form.
Could this option limit my future choices?
No, but changes in your circumstances may affect your eligibility for the Accommodation Supplement or the amount you are entitled to. You will need to think about this if you are
planning to move or have someone else come and live with you.
For more information