B36 - Abbeyfield
Abbeyfield New Zealand is a community-based, volunteer-led charity that offers affordable rental housing for individuals aged 55 and over.
Abbeyfield houses typically accommodate between 10 and 12 residents in a flatting situation. Residents have their own bedrooms with ensuite but share a dining room, sitting rooms,
kitchen and laundry facilities and garden.
Rents vary between locations but are kept at rates that are affordable to individuals receiving New Zealand Superannuation and the Accommodation Supplement.
- Abbeyfield provides companionship and security, while encouraging independence.
- There are no capital costs or bonds. Weekly rents are kept at an affordable rate and include two main meals daily, power, heating and maintenance as well as accommodation.
- Residents are able to furnish their rooms any way they want.
- Residents do not have to worry about maintaining a house/property.
- A housekeeper lives onsite to provide basic support, cook the lunches and dinners and maintain common areas.
- Residents are involved in managing the house and have a say in who joins it. They can have visitors, and most houses have a guest room for family and friends.
- The houses are designed to accommodate wheelchairs, mobility frames and scooters.
- Abbeyfield does not provide personal care services, though it can help residents access home help if necessary. Residents who need comprehensive care must move to more
- Vacancies are limited and restricted to those already living locally.
- Some houses are unable to accommodate couples.
What do I need in order to take this option?
- There must be a suitable Abbeyfield house where you want to live.
- The house needs to have accommodation available when you want it.
- You must meet the eligibility criteria.
- You must be in reasonable health and able to maintain your own medication regimes and care for yourself.
- Some Abbeyfield houses may house couples, but others will only accept individuals.
- Most houses take applicants over the age of 55, though some will only accept those over the age of 60 (eg, Auckland).
- Applicants must be locals.
To find out whether you are eligible, email: email@example.com or phone: 03 546 6459.
Could this option limit my future choices?
For more information