B18 - Home Support Services
Home support services help a person remain in their own home as they age.
Some of the services provided include: help with showering, dressing, house cleaning, washing clothes or meal preparation and essential shopping. A support worker helps
with tasks in the home for a number of hours every week.
The Ministry of Health funds some home support services. You can also make your own arrangements to pay for home support services.
- The services are tailored to fit your situation and needs.
- Research has shown that receiving regular inhome support can help people maintain their level of wellness longer, preventing or postponing the need to move to aged
- Some people like the independence of using a service, rather than relying on the goodwill of friends or family.
- Home support services can reassure your family that you are receiving regular support.
- Home support services generally only provide a set range of services. For example, some do not cover shopping, outside garden work or heavy housework, and transport is not
- There may not be a suitable home support service in your area.
What do I need in order to take this option?
- Contact your GP to ask about your eligibility for home support services.
- You can apply for Ministry of Health funding assistance for home support services. See
C17 Receiving Financial Assistance for Home Support Services.
- You can also pay for home support yourself. See
C18 Paying for Home Support Services.
- A suitable home support service must be available in your area.
- If you live in an independent unit in a retirement village, you will need to check if you can choose the service you want to use. Some retirement villages require their
residents to purchase the village's own home support service rather than access a Ministry-funded service or pay for a private service.
Could this option limit my future choices?
No, but if you move and your needs remain the same, you will have to check whether your home support service provider can work in your new area or could help you find an
For more information